The Rushmere organ was originally built in 1882 by J. D. Dixon of Cambridge, and stood on the north side of the nave. In 1948 it was rebuilt by Messrs Hill, Norman and Beard and the pipework was moved to its current position at the west end of the church, with a new detached console halfway up the north aisle. The inscribed wooden panelling beneath the organ case, a memorial to parishioners who had died in the Second World War, was added in 1955.
A major restoration of the instrument was carried out in 2002 by Bishop & Son of Ipswich, followed in 2008 by the replacement of the 1948 console. Further work was undertaken in 2014 to renew the organ’s electrical components and enhance its performance by means of a fully comprehensive stop capture system. The most recent improvement (and the first to be paid for by the Friends) was the replacement of the main wind trunk connecting the blower to the organ chamber.
Becoming a Friend of Rushmere Organ
The principal aim of The Friends of Rushmere Organ is to support the maintenance and repair of this fine instrument. The organ is the Parish’s single largest financial commitment after the care and maintenance of the church building, and it is hoped that in future the bulk of the costs associated with the organ will no longer have to be met directly from Parish funds. The Friends have also recently started to support the cost of organ lessons at Rushmere for one young pupil, in collaboration with Suffolk Organists’ Association.